Malaysia Dateline

Chronology of the fizzled coup attempt


10 p.m.: The coup attempt was first noted when social media users announced that gendarmerie forces had blockaded the Bosporus and Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridges in Istanbul, while military jets flew low over military institutions in Ankara.

10:30 p.m.: Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım spoke to media regarding developments, said that there is a possibility that a group within the military is attempting a coup.

11.50 p.m.: Coup actors occupy the General Staff building in Ankara, and clashes erupted between police officers. State-run Anadolu Agency (AA) reported that Chief of General Staff General Hulusi Akar had been taken hostage. Provincial organizations belonging to the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) were surrounded by soldiers.

 An unsigned declaration was issued on the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) website, in which the coup actors declared that they had seized control of the country. The declaration was read on live TV by a newscaster, at gunpoint, on the state-run TRT channel, whose building the coup plotters occupied. The plotters called themselves the Peace at Home Council.


12:20 a.m.: Defense Minister Fikri Işık announced that those attempting the coup were outside the chain of command, and said the coup declaration was fake.

 In Istanbul, the coup actors seized Atatürk International Airport’s air traffic control tower.

 In Ankara, a group of coup soldiers surrounded the National Intelligence Agency’s (MİT) headquarters. A helicopter flying over the area opened fire on the building.

12:30 a.m.: President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan spoke via live through Facetime from the Marmaris district of the southwestern province of Muğla.

1:10 a.m.: General Ümit Dündar, Commander of the First Army, said they were working with Governor Vasip Şahin to dismantle the attempt in Istanbul. The soldiers who occupied Atatürk airport abandoned the traffic control tower, and citizens entered the building.

2:05 a.m.: In Ankara, a helicopter used by the coup plotters was shot down by F-16 jets. The coup actors killed 17 police officers at the Police Special Forces Training Academy, while two civilians were killed at the TURKSAT national satellite company compound.

 Parliament convened 100 deputies, and announced that they will hold an emergency convention on Saturday.

 Police officers and citizens neutralized four soldiers, including one senior officer, who had occupied the TRT building. The chief of Bursa’s provincial gendarmerie command was detained.

2:30 a.m.: MİT announced that the coup attempt was mostly rebuffed, and announced that the coup plotters are Gülenists, adding that they will be tried for treason tomorrow. While attempting to enter the Presidential Complex in Ankara, 13 soldiers including three senior officers were detained.

2:40 a.m.: In Ankara, explosions were heard in Parliament. The general assembly hall had 100 deputies present.

3:10 a.m.: In Istanbul, President Erdoğan’s plane landed at Atatürk International Airport, as Prime Minister Yıldırım said that a no-fly zone had been declared in Ankara, announcing the situation was mostly under control.

3:30 a.m.: Another explosion was heard in Parliament. Deputies sought shelter.

4 a.m.: President Erdoğan is received by many people in the airport.

4:05 a.m.: Coup actors opened fire on the hotel in Marmaris where Erdoğan was while on vacation.

4:30 a.m.: At Atatürk International Airport, President Erdoğan spoke to the media and gave the details of the attempted coup. He said: “It is auspicious to purge Gülenists from the military. It is not a coincidence that they did this before the meeting of Supreme Military Council (YAŞ),” and added that his Presidency Secretary-General Fahri Kasırga had been seized by the coup actors.

6:30 a.m.: Erdoğan addressed people at Atatürk International Airport. “I am grateful on behalf of my nation. Last evening revealed the criminal acts by the parallel state [Gülenists]. They carried out, in a strict sense, a terror attack.” He called for people to stay in the streets until everything became normal.

8 a.m.: While life returned to normal in Istanbul, 50 soldiers belonging to the coup faction surrendered to police officers on the Bosporus Bridge. Reuters reported that the General Staff building was under the control of soldiers loyal to the government. Media reported that Legal Counsellor of General Staff Colonel Muharrem Köse was linked with the coup attempt.

8:15 a.m.: Police headquarters announced that 16 soldiers were killed, and 250 soldiers were detained at the Gendarmerie General Command in Istanbul.

8:30 a.m.: Chief of General Staff Hulusi Akar was rescued by a Special Forces team.

9:40 a.m.: The Justice Ministry said 1,563 Turkish Armed Forces personnel were detained.

9:50 a.m.: AA reported that during the night’s events, 90 people were killed and 1,154 people were injured. The statement said that 200 unarmed soldiers in General Staff building had surrendered to police officers in Ankara.

10:30 a.m.: A judicial process for the charges of treason was initiated against generals affiliated with the attempted coup.

11:05 a.m.: Chief of General Staff in Charge Umit Dündar said 1,563 soldiers were arrested, while 104 coup-affiliated soldiers were killed. Those killed included 90 people, including 47 civilians, and 1,154 protestors and security forces were injured.

11:45 a.m.: A no-fly zone was declared in the Marmara region, covering an area including Istanbul.

12:20 a.m.: Prime Minister Yıldırım spoke to reporters saying “July 15 is a dark stain on Turkish democracy.”

 A helicopter landed in Greece, with seven coup-affiliated soldiers and one civilian seeking asylum.

1:35 p.m.: MİT Chief Hakan Fidan said anti-coup operations will be finished within an hour.

2:55 p.m.: The Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) fires 2,745 judges.